At Plugged In, we provide access to the community for all, by removing barriers. When we see a need, we respond.
More than 1/3 of Canadians struggle to access community activities due to barriers such as age, ability, socio-economics, neurodiversity, or any other potentially segregating factor.
If you believe in the power of Cultivating a Community for All, a community that takes care of its most vulnerable, while creating opportunities for everyone to realize their potential in a thriving, caring, connected city, it’s time to get involved with us!
Plugged In Community Centre Organization (Plugged In) is a St.Albert and surrounding area, AB-based charity that provides supports, events, and programs that remove barriers to the community so that all citizens benefit from the community!
We are currently seeking 3 to 5 passionate, resourceful, new board members, to add to our current 5-member board. Our activities are strongly focused on events, programs, and fundraising. Our current needs are for individuals with experience in marketing (especially online marketing and social media), corporate and community partnerships, and fundraising, with the ultimate goal of increasing donations in order to fund more community connections, programs and events.
- Believe in Plugged In’s mission for an inclusive community and provide financial oversight, the overall direction of the organization and oversee Plugged In’s activities
- Help promote Plugged In’s public image and mission
- Participate in or chair at least one committee (Fundraising, Finance, Marketing, Partner Stewardship, Gala, Golf Tournament)
- Support all of Plugged In’s signature events either financially (i.e. purchasing an event ticket), or by volunteering at the event
- Leverage your personal contacts to assist with fundraising initiatives
- Take on ad-hoc projects or champion initiatives that arise from BOD meeting discussions or that are identified as needing support from the board
- Attend board meetings (10+ per year; usually held 5:30 – 7:00 pm on a weeknight) and contribute positively during meetings
- Be able and willing to fulfill the time commitment required to carry out responsibilities
- Help us achieve our goal to See A Need in our Community and Respond through removing barriers.
While we are seeking any individuals who have an interest in our organizational mission, we are ideally looking for those with expertise in the areas listed below:
- Previous Board Chair experience on a non-profit/charity board required in order to provide structure and guidance on chairing meetings, board governance, programming, fundraising, providing oversight of the Executive Director, succession planning, etc.
- Fundraising – Provide guidance in a fundraising plan, be an ambassador by helping us connect to funders and support staff with fundraising
- HR – Provide guidance, build tools and participate in tasks related to Employment Standards and HR best practices
- Strategy Development – Help lead strategic and operational planning
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations – Provide advice, build tools and participate in activities relating to marketing, communications, or public relations, such as the development of marketing materials, graphic software, website administration, implementation of social media/digital strategies, etc.
- Organizational Skills, Computer Skills (Google Drive, Google Keep, etc)
- Previous Board Experience
- Financial, Accounting
- Event Planning, Committee Leadership
- Strong Community Connections
- Legal Documentation
- Grant Writing, AGLC experience
- Strategic Planning
- Prepare for and attend board meetings every month (the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 5:30-7:30 pm)
- Additionally, event committee conference calls to be weekly for 2 months prior to the event for 1.5 hours as scheduled
- Give back by sharing your talents and skills and help us grow
- Expand your own professional and personal networks
- Learn new skills, ideas, and opportunities for your own work
- Strengthen your project and team management skills
- Become a mentor and coach
- Learn how a charity runs
- Be part of taking Plugged In Charity to the next level!
How to Apply
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please email your cover letter, detailing your specific interest in the organization’s mission and your potential contribution, and up to date resume in a single word or PDF file to Plugged In Community Centre’s Board Secretary, Candy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Board Interest” in the subject line. This posting will remain open until January 2020.
We kindly ask that applications be sent by email only (no fax or mail applications please) and we request that you do not phone. Due to the high number of applications we receive, only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in the Plugged In Community Centre Organization.